Saturday, February 27, 2010

Carnaval

Carnival yall! Yea you know i love me some carnival and have been part of it for the past 4 years in San Francisco via dancing/performing, photographing or just showing up to be an spectator/i'll start sambaing or breaking in a second if i get the chance for or with groups such as Loco Bloco who do amazing community work.

Anyhow, so as you may or may not know, Carnival originates from the Brazil but is also celebrated all over the world, including Italy. So i had to check it out.

SO a group of us hopped on a train and headed 3 hours towards Venice. And let me just say that Venice is as beautiful as it looks like on t.v. no lie.



The Italians dont play when it comes to the costumes though . These are a few of what i got.
You know the only thing though was that the whole thing was lacking one MAIN and crucial element. MUSIC!!!! wtf! i almost didnt have fun because to me the whole point of Carnival (and to my life in general, ha) is to dance!!! I saw no drums! no shakers! no nada! I just didnt get it. I guess im just used to doing it how people of color do it... im used to seeing hot girls and men half naked wearing beads and feathers shaking it like a salt-shaker.

Im used to people playing the fuck out of some drums!
Im used to people dancing in the middle of the street!
ohhh i was hurting! But then i had to be like, "duh Nono this how the white people do it" (no offence but its true) but if you hang out with me then i know you have spunk so dont worry friends... its cool yall... i got over it after a few sips of some Ginebra someone brought from Spain

Yea i was happy i went and had that experience in Venice, before it sinks and all. You know me, im going to have fun no matter what. And i did. Mostly running around doing crazy things Europeans like to do, like dance in a circle doing call and response something uhh i dont even know/care.
Then these giant spiders came out and ate everyone. I survived of course via me being a ninja/spider woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...